- To fail of hitting, reaching, getting, finding, seeing, hearing, etc.; as, to miss the mark one shoots at; to miss the train by being late; to miss opportunites of getting knowledge; to miss the point or meaning of something said.
- To omit; to fail to have or to do; to get without; to dispense with; -- now seldom applied to persons.
- To discover the absence or omission of; to feel the want of; to mourn the loss of; to want.
- To fail to hit; to fly wide; to deviate from the true direction.
- To fail to obtain, learn, or find; -- with of.