Rate(v. t. & i.)
- To chide with vehemence; to scold; to censure violently.
- Established portion or measure; fixed allowance.
- That which is established as a measure or criterion; degree; standard; rank; proportion; ratio; as, a slow rate of movement; rate of interest is the ratio of the interest to the principal, per annum.
- Valuation; price fixed with relation to a standard; cost; charge; as, high or low rates of transportation.
- A tax or sum assessed by authority on property for public use, according to its income or value; esp., in England, a local tax; as, parish rates; town rates.