- To supply the place of for a time; to take the turn of, at work; to relieve; as, to spell the helmsman.
- The relief of one person by another in any piece of work or watching; also, a turn at work which is carried on by one person or gang relieving another; as, a spell at the pumps; a spell at the masthead.
- The time during which one person or gang works until relieved; hence, any relatively short period of time, whether a few hours, days, or weeks.
- One of two or more persons or gangs who work by spells.
- A gratuitous helping forward of another's work; as, a logging spell.