- To procure supplies or means in advance; to take measures beforehand in view of an expected or a possible future need, especially a danger or an evil; -- followed by against or for; as, to provide against the inclemency of the weather; to provide for the education of a child.
- Of or pertaining to tetanus; having the character of tetanus; as, a tetanic state; tetanic contraction.
- The writer of a treatise or dissertation.
- To serve successfully; to get with foal; -- said of mares.
- To paint in imitation of the grain of wood, marble, etc.
- The process of growing; the gradual increase of an animal or a vegetable body; the development from a seed, germ, or root, to full size or maturity; increase in size, number, frequency, strength, etc.; augmentation; advancement; production; prevalence or influence; as, the growth of trade; the growth of power; the growth of intemperance. Idle weeds are fast in growth.