- The head or leader of any body of men; a commander, as of an army; a head man, as of a tribe, clan, or family; a person in authority who directs the work of others; the principal actor or agent.
- The principal part; the most valuable portion.
- The upper third part of the field. It is supposed to be composed of the dexter, sinister, and middle chiefs.
- Highest in office or rank; principal; head.
- Principal or most eminent in any quality or action; most distinguished; having most influence; taking the lead; most important; as, the chief topic of conversation; the chief interest of man.